No products in the cart.
Lavender Potato Soup
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp dried culinary lavender
- ¼ pound unsalted butter
- 6 leeks, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 celery rib with leaves, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 16 cups chicken broth
- 10 medium russet potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 3 fresh medium poblano chili peppers, roasted, peeled, seed, and chopped
- 2 tsp minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 green onions, chopped
Toast cumin in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a spice grinder and add the lavender. Pulse until finely ground.
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic.
Cook for 5 minutes, or until the leeks are soft.
Stir in the flour.
Add broth, potatoes, poblano peppers, chipotle pepper and lavender mixture.
Tie up the peppercorns and bay leaves in cheesecloth and add to the pot.
Simmer for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove and discard cheesecloth bundle.
Use a handheld blend or a food process (work in batches) to blend soup until smooth.
Stir in the cream.
Season with salt and pepper & ladle into individual bowls; sprinkle with the green onions and/or extra lavender blossoms.
Share this Recipe